Location: Dallas, Texas preferred, but open to remote (occasional travel to Dallas will be required)
Job Type: Full-Time
Looking for an agency with an entrepreneurial spirit that’s on the fast-track to growth? Do you like surrounding yourself with a tenacious, whip-smart team? Are you looking for a role with a pathway to senior leadership? Idea Grove just might have the job for you.
We’re looking for a visionary public relations director with 7+ years of experience to lead our fast-growing PR practice. In this role you’ll serve as senior strategist for our clients, develop and mentor team members, and champion both traditional and digital PR strategies as we stay ahead of the curve with the evolution of PR. As our team grows so will your role--so we’re looking for someone who is eager to scale with our agency and potentially step into future senior leadership positions.
Who We Are
Idea Grove is a unified PR and marketing agency organized around the goal of securing market awareness and building, growing and protecting brand trust for our clients. We do this by orchestrating high-profile, integrated programs that include third-party validation, reputation management, user experience, search presence and thought leadership. Our clients include established brands like Amazon and Stanford, along with emerging companies in cutting-edge technology sectors like e-commerce, AI, machine learning, educational technology and more.
Because of the great work of our team, we were recently recognized with the Small Agency of the Year award and two 40 under 40 awards from PRSA Dallas, and 2021 Top Workplaces awards from Inc. Magazine and Dallas Business Journal. It’s our belief that great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone, and that the contributions of individual, diverse voices are what make our collective voice strong and unique. This is why inclusion, diversity and equity is at the forefront of our company goals and team growth.
We strive to be transparent in how we run the company and practice the Great Game of Business style of Open Book Management, which includes teaching each team member how to read the agency’s financials and providing them a stake in the outcome through a bonus pool tied to financial performance.
Driving this are the core values embodied by each and every team member: Creativity, Respect, Energy, Accountability, Teamwork and Empathy, which together form the acronym CREATE. This helps us to remember that in order to be successful, we must build trust from the inside out by living our CREATE Every Day values.
About This Role
The ideal candidate has a proven track record leading B2B or tech PR campaigns and brings knowledge and experience across various tactics and channels, including media relations, digital PR, social media, analyst relations, influencer engagement, and reputation management. The role requires a continuous learner focused on the evolution and future of PR with a passion for building high-performance systems and teams.
Primary role and responsibilities:
- Team leadership: You’ll bring a passion for mentoring, training and leading, helping our PR team hone their skills and talents so they can thrive in their roles. This includes willingness to coach proactively, provide timely feedback, and have crucial conversations that challenge the team to reach new heights of success. You’ll also monitor team bandwidth, address resource allocation issues and lead hiring efforts as our team grows.
- Ownership of our PR offering: Refine processes and deliverables to ensure PR programs (including media relations, analyst and influencer relations, and reputation management) are standardized and highly effective, collaborate with Idea Grove leadership on new offerings and trends that allow us to stay ahead of the industry curve, and systematize and train team members on new offerings.
- Senior strategist: Serve as senior PR strategist with clients, ensuring that all PR programs ladder up to business objectives, align with best practices and are structured to maximize results. Monitor program performance, stepping in to provide guidance to team members and help troubleshoot and adjust strategies as needed.
- Digital PR: Lead digital PR efforts for clients seeking to grow their search presence as part of their PR program. Well-crafted stories and content should generate both media coverage and valuable inbound links. This requires knowledge of digital PR strategy, which Google has called its preferred method for link-building. Experience with SEO tools such as SEMrush and Ahrefs is a plus.
- Program delivery: Ensure that all clients are receiving a high level of service, consistent execution, and satisfactory results from the PR team. Provided senior-level support and guidance to clients and internal teams. Participate in or lead key client discussions ranging from kickoff meetings, brainstorms, SME calls, strategy development sessions, C-suite media training, trends presentations, and metrics reviews. Provide feedback and support as needed on press releases, media lists, pitches, campaign plans, media relations tactics, and other PR materials.
- Collaboration and integration: Collaborate effectively with Idea Grove specialty teams to maximize synergies and results and ensure trusting relationships between teams.
- New business: Participates in conversations and presentations with prospective clients, serving as a subject matter expert to assess opportunities, illustrate our team’s capabilities and contribute strategic ideas.
- 7+ years of public relations experience
- Previous experience working with B2B or tech companies and leading media relations campaigns
- Experience managing direct reports
- Experience working with top-tier business, technology and trade outlets and understanding of the dependencies necessary to secure results
- Experience working with C-suite leaders
- Experience working in or collaborating with teams supporting analyst/investor relations, social media, influence relations, SEO and content marketing
- Exemplify Idea Grove’s core values: Creativity, Respect, Energy, Accountability, Teamwork and Empathy
- A strong team player, bringing drive, humility, and emotional intelligence
- Positive attitude and service-centered approach to leadership
- Results oriented, with a high level of accountability for yourself and your teams
- Proactive, assertive and willing to take charge of challenging situations
- Ability to effectively navigate crucial conversations with direct reports, peers, leadership and clients to maintain and improve performance
- Agility and comfort working in a fast-paced agency environment, providing high-level oversight while being willing to roll up your sleeves and help team members when needed
- Passion for processes and standardization, knowing that finding smarter approaches to work makes our team and clients more successful
- Ownership mindset, seeking to learn more about Idea Grove’s business and making decisions that keep the team’s best interest at heart
- Hunger to learn and grow as a professional by keeping up with industry developments and then sharing your knowledge with others
- Data obsessed, knowing how to bring together the appropriate tools and translate results into narratives that reinforce client objectives.
Interested in applying?
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in joining Idea Grove and what you can bring to our team. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. To support a hiring process free of unconscious bias, we kindly request you not include a headshot in your application.
As we move further along in the process, please be prepared to provide writing and campaign examples, and references that include a past/current manager, past/current direct report, and journalist contact.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy: To support the safety of employees, Idea Grove requires that team members must be fully vaccinated in order to come into the office. Office attendance is currently voluntary, however at some point in the future our team will return to a hybrid arrangement of being in the office two days per week.