Location: Dallas, Texas or Remote (United States)
Job Type: Full-Time
If you live and breathe PR, Idea Grove just might have the job for you. We’re looking for a dynamic and driven media relations specialist who enjoys the thrill of the pitch, relishes building relationships with journalists, and is constantly tracking the latest emerging trends and stories.
Who We Are
Idea Grove is a boutique, unified public relations and marketing agency based in Dallas and serving B2B technology clients across the nation. We work with established brands like Amazon and Stanford, along with emerging companies in cutting-edge technology sectors like e-commerce, AI, machine learning, educational technology and more.
We help clients win by orchestrating high-profile, integrated programs that drive business growth. Because of the great work of our team, we were recently recognized with the Small Agency of the Year award and two 40 under 40 awards from PRSA Dallas, and a 2021 Top Workplaces award from Inc. Magazine. It’s our belief that great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone, and that the contributions of individual, diverse voices are what make our collective voice strong and unique. This is why inclusion, diversity, and equity is at the forefront of our company goals and team growth.
We strive to be transparent in how we run the company and practice the Great Game of Business style of Open Book Management, which includes teaching each team member how to read the agency’s financials and providing them a stake in the outcome through a bonus pool tied to financial performance.
Driving this are the core values embodied by each and every team member: Creativity, Respect, Energy, Accountability, Teamwork and Empathy, which together form the acronym CREATE. This helps us to remember that in order to be successful, we must CREATE Every Day.
About This Role
As a media relations specialist, you’ll play a pivotal role in helping Idea Grove’s clients increase their brand awareness and visibility through proactive media relations campaigns. Beyond campaign ideation and execution, you’ll also serve as an internal SME on media relations best practices, helping junior team members fine-tune their campaigns and keeping your skills up to date with regular training and education.
This could be the perfect role for you if you are:
- Proactive, assertive and self-sufficient, taking charge of the client’s success and ensuring that results are achieved
- People-savvy, with the ability to read people and situations quickly and effectively in order to sell ideas and persuade others
- Goal-driven, thriving in fast-paced environments in which you’re given a high level of freedom to take calculated risks in order to reach big results
- Motivated by the joy of mentoring and coaching others in the art of media relations
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with regional and national media outlets ranging from niche trade publications to top-tier business, technology, financial, and industry trade media
- Regularly develop compelling pitches, press releases and trend-based story ideas designed to generate media coverage in target outlets
- Coordinate media interviews and other press opportunities for clients
- Evaluate media relations programs to ensure they align with PR goals
- Track, evaluate, and share results of media relations efforts
- Research and develop an understanding of business issues or trending news topics and connect the dots to create timely media opportunities for clients
- Lead SME interviews and develop strong PR narratives using clients’ unique perspectives
- Convey complex information around issues, adeptly dealing with difficult media situations
- Immerse yourself in clients’ industries, brands and past media coverage, and apply this information in preparing and presenting strategically focused programs and recommendations
- Understand and adopt new techniques and technologies that are relevant for clients' media relations strategies
Relevant (not required) experience includes:
- 2-4 years experience in public relations and media relations, bringing strong skills, established contacts and close knowledge of top-tier business, tech and trade media verticals
- Agency experience
- Proven understanding of print, broadcast, social media, and influencer marketing
- Experience placing bylined articles and op-eds
- Collaborative working and communication style
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent writing skills and knowledge of AP style, with the ability to develop and edit high-quality materials including: communications plans, PR messaging, press materials, trend analysis summaries and presentations
- Proficiency in media monitoring and reporting
- Ability to manage relationships with colleagues, clients and media from a collaborative and empathetic perspective
Interested in applying?
Does this sound like you? We would love to connect! Please send us your resume and cover letter below, and we’ll follow up with an additional survey to complete. To support a hiring process free of unconscious bias, we kindly request you not include a headshot in your application.
Please be prepared to provide:
- References that include a past or current manager, past or current client, and journalist or influencer you have worked with in the past
- Writing samples
- PR campaign examples